Mind Maps for Career Planning
Mind maps are the future “it” thing in planning and executing; an interesting, multi purpose tool, and yet, unlike most other such tools, it is as easy as wearing a shoe. Agreed, it might take some time in the beginning while you are learning, but once you do, it will become a subconscious process, and without realizing, you will be classifying your thoughts and ideas in the form of a mind map, at least a virtual one. Mind map software can be equally useful for anyone for studying for a subject, as they are for someone who wants to plan out a project. Another exciting use of the mind maps is to plan out your career.
Career Planning is a huge step in life, and you have to weigh every possibility against another carefully before deciding on a choice. While selecting the options, you might require a lot of help from your parents, friends, and especially the people who already are pursuing the career you are interested in.
Must Read: Mind mapping software for Student
After the initial process of collecting the information, comes the part where you have to assess your chances and make the decision. This is where mind mapping can come to your help.
1. Note down your current foundation for a career
Make a list of all your strengths, weaknesses and other skill sets. Compare these against the requirements of your current workplace/job. Then compare them against the requirements of potential jobs in the future. Are you under, exactly or overqualified for the jobs?
If you are under qualified, check what changes you need to undergo to suit the job profile. If you are overqualified, keep an eye open for better jobs you could take where you can utilize your skills to the fullest.
2. Know your limits, set goals accordingly:
Often, while career planning, you could get carried away, and may set unrealistic goals for yourself. Know your own limits and abilities, and set your goals accordingly. This makes it easier to work towards achieving your goals, and also makes the mind map more concise and practical.
Also look: Free mind mapping software
3. Evaluate the options against one another:
Make a list of all the career options available to you. Add everything that you can think of, even your childhood ambition to be an astronaut.
Now, add four columns ahead of each option; the desirability, the potential, how realistic it is, and the drawbacks.
- Fill out these columns honestly, thinking about every column individually. With a clear mind, you will be able to eliminate a majority of the options on this list, and be left with a handful of genuinely good options.
- With a bit more of the process of elimination, you will be left with a new career option for your future. What’s more, you now know this one is suited for you, because you have compared it up against all other possibilities, and are quite likely to thrive.Good luck choosing the right career with the best mind mapping software. Make sure you share your experiences with mind maps in the comments section!
Download Mind Vector App Now: